Those who have contracted the virus still stand at seven, and all are under surveillance by the Ministry of Health and Kenyatta National Hospital staff, the government has announced.“The good news is that they are all in stable condition, and we have begun tests to determine if they are negative,” said Health Cabinet Secretary Mutahi Kagwe. The eight who tested negative are being processed for discharge, the minister said yesterday.
Kenya’s first case was reported on March 13, and it shot to seven in just a week.The CS, while giving an update on the outbreak yesterday, said so far the government laboratories had tested 173 suspected cases, and only seven turned out positive.
Mr Kagwe said the government would begin to use the Nyumba Kumi initiative to ensure directives issued on self-quarantine and social distancing were adhered to.He said the enforcement would be done by chiefs and sub-chiefs. “The government is directing all county commissioners to engage in Nyumba Kumi initiative committees to support the outbreak response measures,” he said.Entertainment joints and bars are some of the venues they will be monitoring, as they are required to operate within the specified hours.“By congregating in entertainment joints, this beats the purpose of self-quarantine and we will take action against those institutions. This includes withdrawing their licenses,” he said.The CS put all doubts on claims by the global health body that the numbers of corona-virus cases being reported were not absolute.
Additionally, the government agencies have 145 contacts on their radar, who are being pursued as suspect cases.