Connect with us

News

Kenya Airways employee suspended for recording arrival of China plane

Published

on

A Kenya Airways staffer has been suspended for recording the arrival of a China Southern Airline plane at Jomo Kenyatta International Airport (JKIA) on Wednesday night.
The aircraft brought in 239 passengers from China, the epicentre of the Covid-19 virus. The Ministry of Health advised the passengers to voluntarily quarantine themselves for 14 days after being cleared at JKIA.
Kenyans were irked that the passengers were allowed entry into the country. Some took to social networks to express displeasure on the government’s move with some of them saying it is tantamount to risking their lives.
“Enemies of the People” shouted The Standard . “Virus: Why Kenya is dancing with death,” boomed The Nation.
Gire Ali, the KQ employee, linked to a viral video recording of passengers disembarking from the Chinese aircraft was suspended the next day (Thursday).
“Following a report of video recording of China Southern Airline aircraft at JKIA and circulation of the video clip widely on social media on 26 February 2020, and your alleged involvement in the matter, it has been decided that you be suspended from duty with effect from 27 February 2020 in accordance with provision of clause 16.5 of the Company Hit Policy Manual. This is to pave way for further investigations into the matter,” read part of a letter from the KQ human resource office.
“During the period of suspension, you will be required to avail [sic] yourself to the investigating team, your manager or any other person in authority as and when required. You are therefore required to remain contactable and within easy reach during the period. Also note that the suspension will be on full salary,” continued the letter.
The letter was signed by Kenya Airways Chief Human Resource Officer, Evelyne Munyoki.

“Spreading rumours”
In December 2019, 34-year-old Dr Li Wenliang sent a message to fellow medics about the outbreak upon discovering the coronavirus. Three days later, police paid him a visit and told him to stop. He returned to work and caught the virus from a patient. He had been in hospital for at least three weeks before he succumbed to the virus on February 6, 2020.
Dr Li was working at the epicentre of the outbreak in December when he noticed seven cases of a virus that he thought looked like SARS – the virus that led to a global epidemic in 2003. The cases were thought to come from the Huanan Seafood market in Wuhan and the patients were in quarantine in his hospital.
He had also been summoned to the Public Security Bureau where he was told to sign a letter accusing him of “making false comments” that had “severely disturbed the social order”.
“We solemnly warn you: If you keep being stubborn, with such impertinence, and continue this illegal activity, you will be brought to justice – is that understood?”
Underneath the letter, in Dr Li’s handwriting is written: “Yes, I do.”
He was one of eight people who police said were being investigated for “spreading rumours”.
The deadly novel coronavirus has already spread to over 40 countries prompting fears of a pandemic.
More than 74,000 people have been infected by the virus in China and hundreds more in other countries.
As a consequence, airlines have suspended flights in response to the coronavirus outbreak.
Kenya alongside her two East African neighbours Rwanda and Tanzania suspended flights in January.
Despite suspending flights to China, Kenya has been allowing other airlines from china entry into the country.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

He is a very dangerous man! Sonko’s daughter accuses senator of attempting to kill her

Published

on

Lamu Senator Anwar Loitiptip and Saumu Mbuvi, daughter of former Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko, have announced their separation following wrangles and disagreement.

The reports were fuelled by photos and videos of Senator Loitiptip hanging out with a female friend.

Saumu, on Instagram, announced that the two have separated, claiming that she has undergone domestic violence under Loitiptip.

“These are the things he did to me,” wrote Saumu, in one of her photos showing a swollen face and bruised lips.

“He almost killed me. I will forever fight for women to stand for their rights. Never allow a man to be violent to you.”

She also claimed that the senator had neglected their child, leaving Saumu as the primary caregiver.

Loitiptip told Kenyans.co.ke that Saumu shared her father’s traits and was suffering from bipolar disorder, threatening to expose her past to prove his claim.

The two have been dating for months and at one point planned to get married. However, Sonko’s daughter clarified that the two had split before officiating their union.

“Wedding date confirmed,” she captioned a picture of herself and the senator in June 2020.

Her previous relationship with businessman cum politician Ben Gatu also ended after she accused him of being violent.

Continue Reading

News

US raises alarm over Covid-19 cases surge in Tanzania

Published

on

The US government has revealed that there are significant cases of Covid-19 in Tanzania.

This is just a week after it advised its citizens against travelling to the East African country.

“The US Embassy is aware of a significant increase in the number of Covid-19 cases since January 2021,” the Embassy said.

In a Health alert, the US said the practice of Covid-19 mitigation and prevention measures remains limited.

The Tanzanian government has not released aggregate numbers on Covid-19 cases or deaths since April 2020.

“Healthcare facilities in Tanzania can become quickly overwhelmed in a healthcare crisis. Limited hospital capacity throughout Tanzania could result in life-threatening delays for emergency medical care,” US said.

The Department of State’s travel advisory level for Tanzania is Level 3.

The US Centre for Disease Control and Prevention says that travellers should avoid all travel to Tanzania.

The Embassy continues to recommend that all individuals take caution in day-to-day activities.

President John Magufuli assured the 58 million inhabitants that they need not worry about observing Covid-19 preventative measures.

Continue Reading

News

Siwachii wezi! Uhuru vows not to leave the country to thieves in 2022

Published

on

President Uhuru Kenyatta on Wednesday made a surprising stop to lecture Nairobi residents after finishing his engagement at the National Cargo Deconsolidation Centre (NCDC-Nairobi).

The Head of State said he was angry at Nairobians for being against the Building Bridges Initiative (BBI) Bill stating that the report has given Nairobi more constituencies.

“If we have a BBI that says the people of Nairobi will have more constituencies and if it’s bursaries a child in Mathare who today receives Ksh500, how will that child study up to university level,” President Kenyatta said.

“But there is another child who gets Ksh100,000 in Busury per year is that right?… BBI is not for helping Raila or Uhuru it is for you,” he continued.

Uhuru went on to disclose that he has no plans to rule after his term is over and his interest is in finishing the job that Kenyans elected him to do.

Continue Reading

Trending