Connect with us

News

Fake Corona virus post lands man in jail

Published

on

In the wake of the coronavirus, Kenyans have been sharing jokes about this serious matter but things have gone terribly awry for one of them
On Sunday DCI officers arrested Elijah Muthui Kitonyo for what they termed as spreading fake news.
According to the statement by the DCI, the 23-year-old had published misleading and alarming information on coronavirus in Kenya.
Through his twitter account, Kitonyo implied that the government of Kenya was misleading its people about the virus.
Kitonyo, who claimed to be a staff at the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport, said that the woman the government said was the first case of coronavirus and was being quarantined in Mbagathi Hospital, was not in the country at the time the health CS Mutahi Kagwe confirmed the first case of COVID-19 in Kenya.
The DCI has warned the public from publishing or sharing unconfirmed information about the virus that could cause panic and anxiety as it is against the law.
According to the DCI, Kitonyo will be charged with publishing false information that is calculated or results in panic contrary to the law.
If found guilty, Kitonyo could is liable to a fine not exceeding Sh5 million or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding ten years, or to both.
Government spokesperson Col. (Rtd) Cyrus Oguna has warned individuals sharing videos on social media with fake information about the coronavirus and the extent of its spread in the country.
Col. Oguna said the government was working hand in hand with the DCI, and punitive action would be taken against them.
“The fake and alarming videos on #covid19kenya #coronaInkenya have been forwarded to Director of Criminal Investigations (DCI) for investigations, arrest, and prosecution of such individuals,” he said.
His statement come hours after a Kenyan woman took to social media and posted a video claiming to be the woman allegedly quarantined at the Mbagathi Hospital, who strongly denied being infected.
The video went viral with many Kenyans questioning whether the deadly disease was in the country or if she was the patient in the first case of Covid-19 reported in the country.
“The government has taken note of videos doing the rounds on social media with fake information on #coronaInkenya which are aimed at misinforming & causing unnecessary panic to the public,” Oguna further added.
Kenya confirmed its first case of coronavirus on March 14, 2020. Patient Zero had flown from Ohio, USA, via London to Nairobi.
So far three people who had been in contact with her have been confirmed.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

He is a very dangerous man! Sonko’s daughter accuses senator of attempting to kill her

Published

on

Lamu Senator Anwar Loitiptip and Saumu Mbuvi, daughter of former Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko, have announced their separation following wrangles and disagreement.

The reports were fuelled by photos and videos of Senator Loitiptip hanging out with a female friend.

Saumu, on Instagram, announced that the two have separated, claiming that she has undergone domestic violence under Loitiptip.

“These are the things he did to me,” wrote Saumu, in one of her photos showing a swollen face and bruised lips.

“He almost killed me. I will forever fight for women to stand for their rights. Never allow a man to be violent to you.”

She also claimed that the senator had neglected their child, leaving Saumu as the primary caregiver.

Loitiptip told Kenyans.co.ke that Saumu shared her father’s traits and was suffering from bipolar disorder, threatening to expose her past to prove his claim.

The two have been dating for months and at one point planned to get married. However, Sonko’s daughter clarified that the two had split before officiating their union.

“Wedding date confirmed,” she captioned a picture of herself and the senator in June 2020.

Her previous relationship with businessman cum politician Ben Gatu also ended after she accused him of being violent.

Continue Reading

News

US raises alarm over Covid-19 cases surge in Tanzania

Published

on

The US government has revealed that there are significant cases of Covid-19 in Tanzania.

This is just a week after it advised its citizens against travelling to the East African country.

“The US Embassy is aware of a significant increase in the number of Covid-19 cases since January 2021,” the Embassy said.

In a Health alert, the US said the practice of Covid-19 mitigation and prevention measures remains limited.

The Tanzanian government has not released aggregate numbers on Covid-19 cases or deaths since April 2020.

“Healthcare facilities in Tanzania can become quickly overwhelmed in a healthcare crisis. Limited hospital capacity throughout Tanzania could result in life-threatening delays for emergency medical care,” US said.

The Department of State’s travel advisory level for Tanzania is Level 3.

The US Centre for Disease Control and Prevention says that travellers should avoid all travel to Tanzania.

The Embassy continues to recommend that all individuals take caution in day-to-day activities.

President John Magufuli assured the 58 million inhabitants that they need not worry about observing Covid-19 preventative measures.

Continue Reading

News

Siwachii wezi! Uhuru vows not to leave the country to thieves in 2022

Published

on

President Uhuru Kenyatta on Wednesday made a surprising stop to lecture Nairobi residents after finishing his engagement at the National Cargo Deconsolidation Centre (NCDC-Nairobi).

The Head of State said he was angry at Nairobians for being against the Building Bridges Initiative (BBI) Bill stating that the report has given Nairobi more constituencies.

“If we have a BBI that says the people of Nairobi will have more constituencies and if it’s bursaries a child in Mathare who today receives Ksh500, how will that child study up to university level,” President Kenyatta said.

“But there is another child who gets Ksh100,000 in Busury per year is that right?… BBI is not for helping Raila or Uhuru it is for you,” he continued.

Uhuru went on to disclose that he has no plans to rule after his term is over and his interest is in finishing the job that Kenyans elected him to do.

Continue Reading

Trending